Employment attorneys work either for the employer or for the employee. When hired for employees, the lawyer will review the employment contract and negotiate and advise terms or deletions to secure employees’ interests. They are chosen to negotiate retirement or severance packages.
Employees that have been discriminated unfairly or wrongfully dismissed can contact employment attorneys and receive guidance regarding your options and rights. Employment attorneys represent employees in different situations, such as sexual harassment at workplace, overtime pay claims, family leave, employment discrimination, etc.
How employer can get assistance from employment lawyer?
- Employers need advice and guidelines from an experienced lawyer to deal numerous employment issues at the workplace.
- Employers may be expert in dealing majority of employment issues, but some issues are difficult to handle without expert assistance.
- Employment attorney Virginia updates employers on the changing laws, which is difficult to understand on their own.
- Lawyers quickly examine and solve employment agreements that employers’ routinely use with their workers, such as severance documents, employment contracts, etc.
- He/she examines employee handbook and personal policies to make sure they are legally complied with.
- They protect employers from breaching laws regarding family leave, overtime pay, occupational safety and health, final pay checks, etc.
- They can help you when taking difficult decisions, such as whether or not terminate a worker, steps to take to decrease the risk of lawsuits, etc.
Employment attorneys are specialized in representing either employees or the employer. He/she can’t represent both parties at a time. Laws regarding employment are different from one state to another. Therefore, it is good to hire an employment attorney who is skilled and experienced in dealing employment cases in particular state or regions.
Some states have rigid codes of ethics for employee and employer. The role and responsibilities of an employment attorney is getting significant, these days. There is a plenty of attorneys practicing in employment law and guidelines. With many options, choosing the most reliable and reputed lawyer is a difficult task.